Even though there are a number of strategies to choose from, each having a list of benefits and disadvantages, there are a number of broad ideas that cut across many of the strategies outlined in previous sections. Steffens (1995) and Yorba Middle School (n.d.) have elements that inform instructors to:
- Have a short, clear, and reasonable set of classroom rules for students to follow.
- Focus on positive events.
- Be a role-model for students by acting the way you want them to act.
- Maintain student involvement from beginning of class to end of class.
- Manage conflicts calmly.
- Send a student to someone else only after exhausting all possible strategies.